Archaeological site of Theologos

The first excavations in the ancient city of Alon took place during 1911 1914 on the north side of Theologos bay. They stopped because of the First World War to be continued much later in 1935 by H. Goldman.

In the archaeological site of ​​excavations were the founded the citadel of Alon with the walls, the priestly houses, altars, monuments and a four-column temple dedicated to Athena.

The walls were built in two phases, the first during the 6th century BC, where the walls were made of hard limestone and the second during Hellenistic period, where the walls were made of limestone infrared. The main entrance is located on the northeast side of the wall having a width of 3.38 meters. Through main entrance a road of twenty meters was passing who joined the main road of the citadel that led to the temple of Athena.

The temple of Athena was built in three phases. The first was that of the 6th century BC  simultaneously with the construction of the first walls, the second was in 510 BC and the third after the earthquake of 426 BC Locric that destroyed many cities.

In Byzantine times the area of the citadel was covered with a cluster of buildings and a Byzantine church that was built in two phases, the first of the 6-7th century AD and the second of 12-13th century AD

Rich  findings were found like pieces of Doric columns, topmasts, metopes from the three phases of construction of the temple, pieces of terracotta statues and a headless marble statue of Aphrodite, bronze and silver jewelry.

Significant was the Byzantine findings as a unique colored mosaic patterned birds on the floor of the temple lamps of the 6th century and contemporary coins of Emperor Alexios and Manuel .

These findings are stored in the warehouses of the Archaeological Museum of Thebes and some of them are exposed to the wing of prehistoric findings of the National Archaeological Museum of Athens.

Posted in theologos-attractions Tagged with: ,